Saturday, February 6, 2021

Rolling for Race at Character Creation

I’m kind of opening up to the idea of adding fantasy races in my game world. I kind of decided one of my players was a halfling because he took the diminutive heritage and grew up in the woods. It gave me some cool ideas for how I could do halflings different. So then I thought why don’t I just structure a 3d6 table for my players to roll on when they make new characters to determine their race!

So here ya go, another 3d6 table. I also think if you had a lot of fantasy races in your world you could make tables like this by region just to determine what’s common in the area they’re in when they meet the new character. A place with some powerful magic leaking into the world might produce more sorcerers, so you could expand their position on the tables.


#

Race/Class

3

Sorcerer

4

Dwarf

5

Dwarf

6

Dwarf

7

Human

8

Human

9

Human

10

Human

11

Human

12

Human

13

Human

14

Human

15

Halfling

16

Halfling

17

Halfling

18

Talking Monkey/Dog



Sorcerer isn’t exactly a race, but It’s the only time I’d let a player start with a class template. All other magic users either need to invoke a patron or learn from a mentor. So I put it on the list for a cool “Chosen One” vibe. Humans take up the majority of the middle bit because It’s a mostly human campaign, and then dwarves and halflings get an even split of the “fairly unlikely slots.” Finally 18 gets Talking Monkey or Dog. Probably doesn’t need explanation, but hey it’s a fantasy world and I like talking monkeys.

Okay, I guess I’m putting this online in the hopes someone else finds it useful, so lets try this with some traditional fantasy and sci-fi.



This fantasy one would be a nice way to keep a consistent tone in a 5e game where you want certain races to actually feel rare, it could possibly be more useful
when generating NPC’s.




#

Race/Class

3

Tiefling

4

Elf

5

Elf

6

Dwarf

7

Dwarf

8

Dwarf

9

Human

10

Human

11

Human

12

Human

13

Halfling

14

Halfling

15

Halfling

16

Half-orc

17

Half-orc

18

Genasi


And here’s a fun sci-fi one for If I ever pick up another Solar Blades and Cosmic Spells Campaign



#

Race/Class

3

AI

4

Alien (Insectiod)

5

Alien (reptilian)

6

Cyborg

7

Cyborg

8

Cyborg

9

Human

10

Human

11

Human

12

Human

13

Mutant

14

Mutant

15

Mutant

16

Alien (humanoid)

17

Alien (aquatic)

18

Psionics User




No comments:

Post a Comment

Codex